GRADUATION HURTS YALE ELEVEN WORST

Elis Will be Helped by Abundant New Material From 1927 Team--Harvard Also Gets Strong Yearlings

The football machines of Harvard, Yale, and Princeton will require many repairs before going through another season. The championship Yale team loses 18 letter-men by graduation. Sixteen Harvard men have made their last gridiron appearance, and Princeton, faring slightly better, will have to replace 13 departing players. All three colleges, however, have strong foundations to build upon. The Crimson can count upon nine letter men returning, seven of whom may be classed as regulars. Ten Yale men will be back in college, and Princeton will have 14 to pick from.

Yale, despite her heavy losses, is perhaps the best fortified of the Big Three for the 1924 season. In Captain-elect Lovejoy she has a center with few equals in recent Yale history. He will be flanked by veteran guards, Eckhart and Esselstyn, unless one of the two is beaten by Wortham, a 200-pound Freshman who showed himself to be of Varsity calibre. The tackle situation is complicated by the loss of Milstead, Blair, and Miller. Butterworth and Richards, the latter the strongest player in the Freshman line, look to be the best prospects. Lnman, Bingham, and Hart are again available at end. Bench at number one and Pond at number two should be fixtures in the backfield. Cottle, the only other letter-man returning, will probably be forced to give way to Kline, Failing, or Wadsworth, the three versatile Freshman backs who helped to bury the Crimson first-year men under a 59 to 0 avalanche. Bunnell, also a Freshman, is the leading quarterback candidate, Riley and Wienecke of this year's squad being his only rivals. Allen, the mainstay of the 1926 Freshman, will probably break into the backfield if he is eligible. In general, Yale's prospects are excellent thanks largely to a Freshman team of unusual power.

Princeton Has 14 Veterans Returning

Princeton, with 14 letter-men, may well hope to regain her lost prestige. She can put on the field a team composed entirely of letter-men, consisting of Stout and Tillson or Drews, ends; Gates and Howard, tackles; hills and Crago, guards; Caldwell, center; Gibson, Legendre, and Williams in the backfield with Dinsmore, Wingate, or Caulkins at quarterback. Blessed with a surplus of good quarterback material for several years. Coach Roper will have five men.

of outstanding ability striving for that position next fall, the three letter-men and Captain Slagle and Ewing of the Freshmen. The latter, a brother of this year's half-back, is a brilliant dropkicker. Two or three of these quarterbacks may be converted into halfbacks. Predergast of the Freshman team is an exceptionally fast back and a fine broken-field runner, but he is rather light for regular work. The Freshman line was not particularly strong, but it should furnish valuable replacement material. Forest, a very likely prospect at either center or tackle who was handicapped by injuries this fall, will probably win by regular place in the line. On present indications, Princeton should have an average line and a strong backfield.

Harvard loses in Captain Hubbard a man who can scarcely be replaced. Hill at end and Eastman at tackle will also be missed from the forward line, and Coburn and Lee will leave a hole in the backfield. Plaffmann's dropkicking and Jenkins' running, the steady center play of Kernan and Broadford, and the all-around competence of Crosby at end and Grew at guard are features of the past season which will be missing in 1924. the Crimson, however, will be by no means shattered in strength Combs will be back at one end with Robb and E. H. Bradford disputing with Dean of this year's freshman team for the open position. The latter was the only man to play throughout the game against Yale Freshmen, and he is regarded as a fine prospect. Evans and Captain Daley of the 1927 team should make a formidable pair of tackles. Victor, Theopold, and Kilgour are other likely men for this position. Dunker is the best guard in sight, but another year should mean great improvement for Daniell, C. H. Bradford, Laimbeer, and Macomber, Whellock of the 1926 Freshman team, ineligible this year, and Savory and Platt of the 1927 team are all worthy of consideration. The counter position will cause little worry with Greenough available for first-string duty and Adie, Bond, Rosecrans, and Gamache as substitutes. The latter was not eligible this fall, but his work on the second team was of a high order. Should one of these men prove to be first string material, Greenough may be shifted back to tackle, where he played as a Sophomore.

Quarterback Situation a Problem

The backfield presents a difficult problem. At quarterback McGlone should have the call over Splading, Moseley, and Akers, as he did this year, and Hamlen. Freshman Quarterback, can scarcely be considered seriously on re-count of his lack of experience. Coburn's place as number one back may go to Howe, who played there regularly this year until his injury. Coady, a powerful defensive player and a good punter, may get the place, or he may be converted into a lineman, where he formerly played. Cheek is comparatively sure of a place as number two back unless he is shifted to number one to make room for Miller of the Freshman team. Miller is heavy and exceptionally fast, but this fall he failed to make the best possible use of his speed. Hammond's kicking alone makes him essential for the remaining place in the backfield. Zarakov will certainly be used to advantage, as he is considered one of the shiftiest backs to enter college in several years. He may very likely occupy something the position that Neidilinger of Yale did this year; that is, he may be used as a powerful scoring threat in the latter part of a game. Other backs who may develop into valuable men are Maher, Samborski, and Rogers