UPHOLDS VOLSTEAD ENFORCEMENT

M. I. T. Naval Officer Praises Aggressive Note in Coolidge Message

"It is the duty of a citizen not only to observe the law but to let it be known that he is opposed to its violation," said President Coolidge in his recent message to Congress. This statement. Captain Elliot Snow of the United States Navy, and in charge of special instruction at Massachusetts Institute of Technology, believes to be the remedy for the present menacing situation in the United States.

"The question is not", he goes on to say, "whether the 'Volstead Act' is wise or unwise in its provisions, but whether or not the Constitution of the United States shall be conscientiously upheld and a lawful enabling statute enacted thereunder shall be obeyed."

Several organizations in Philadelphia, including the Junior Class at the University of Pennsylvania, have already formally announced their determination to observe the act which enforces the 18th Amendment.

"It is just such resolutions as yours", Captain Snow writes to the University of Pennsylvania Junior Class, "which, when adopted, given publicity, and when rigidly enforced, serve to awaken the public conscience to the danger that now menaces this great country of ours."