DEBATING UNION VOTES DOWN CHANGE IN POLITICAL PARTIES

First Meeting of New Organization Also Elects MacVeagh President

The Debating Union in its opening meeting of the year last night voted down the proposal of a change in the party system of the country. The question under discussion: "Resolved, That in the interest of the country a Conservative and a Liberal Party should supersede the present Republican and Democratic parties." J. H. Finley '25 and Gardner Cowles '25 advocated the change, while F. A. O. Schwarz '24 and W. T. Nichols '26 unheld the present order of affairs. After the prepared speeches, the question was opened to the floor and both sides found numerous supporters. The final vote revealed a margin of 15 against the resolution.

In the organization meeting which preceded the debate Charlton MacVeagh '24 was elected President of the Union. An executive committee was also chosen, composed of J. D. DuBois '24, Gardner Cowles Jr. '25, J. H. Finley Jr. '25, and Philip Walker '25. The committee plans to have one debate between the Christmas recess and the mid-year period. After mid-years there will be a meeting at least once every two weeks.