PLAN REFERENDA ON PRIZE PEACE PLAN AND PROHIBITION

College and Graduate Schools to be Well Covered--Vote on Peace Plan Is Part of Nation-Wide Canvass.

Voting throughout the University on two nation-wide referenda will be conducted by the CRIMSON one week after the Christmas recess, probably on January 10. The questions to be put to a vote are Prohibition and the award of the Bok Peace Prize.

College papers all over the country are conducting the Prohibition referendum at this time, in an effort to find the reaction to Prohibition in the colleges and to determine something of the opinion of the generation which will govern the country in a few years. The Yale Record, Michigan Daily, Daily Californian, and the Daily Texan are among the more influential papers which are expected to take charge of the ballot.

Triple Vote on Prohibition

The vote on prohibition is to be on three questions: "Do you favor an amendment to the Constitution repealing the present Prohibition amendment?" "Do you favor modification of the Volstead Act to permit the sale of light wines and beers?" and "Do you favor more vigorous enforcement of the Prohibition Amendment and the Volstead Act, to make Prohibition an actuality?"

The ballot on the Bok Prize will be worded: "Do you approve the winning plan in substance?" The competition for the prize ended November 15 and the Jury of Award expects to reach a decision by January 1. The Policy Committee of the American Peace Award, believing that a popular reaction to the winning plan is all-important, have decided to organize a nation wide vote, more especially since Americans have never before been able to vote individually on questions relating to Foreign Relations. The vote is being conducted by newspapers, magazines, fraternities, alumni associations, Mayors' Committees, etc., all over the country. Copies or digests of the winning plan will be published widely and distributed as far as possible to the voters.

Here at Harvard both referenda will be conducted at the same time. Voting will take place in the College, Law School, Medical School and other Graduate Schools. Since the faculty will be reached in other manners for the peace award referendum they will not be asked to come to the polls, but will vote on Prohibition by a postal ballot.

All Departments Covered

Polls will be stationed at Austin Hall, the Medical School, Memorial Hall, Langdell Hall, the Crimson Building, and in one of the Freshman Dormitories. The results of the prohibition vote will be published immediately; but the Peace Award vote cannot be published until the national votes have been received at New York, sorted for duplicates, and counted. Then the Harvard votes will be published in comparison with the national total.