SMALL PROSPECT OF STADIUM COVERING

Would Obviate Inconvenience From Rain at Big Games--Will Take Three Tons of Canvas and Cost $15,000

"There's nothing in it!" said Graduate Treasurer F. W. Moore' 93 to a CRIMSON reporter at the H. A. A. yesterday with reference to the story in a Boston morning paper to the effect that the Stadium was to be covered with an immense canvas to keep off the rain. "We have had some discussion on the subject, I admit," he continued, "but no such plan has been given serious consideration, much less definitely adopted."

Cost is Tremendous

"Any such scheme would require approximately three tons of canvas. It would cost $15,000, at a conservative estimate. The H. A. A. will not consider so large an expenditure until we can be reasonably sure that the plan is practicable."

The suggested innovation involves the stretching of trolley cables across the top of the stadium from one colonnade to the other, to which the canvas would be attached. The canvas would be arranged so that it could be raised and lowered easily. It would thus, according to Major Moore, serve a triple purpose. First, it would render unnecessary the hay which is spread over the field every night in the closing weeks of the season. Second, it could be raised high enough to make it possible for practice to be held under its shelter on a rainy day. Finally, and perhaps most important of all, it would be used as a watershed to ensure a dry field on the day of a game, at least at the start of the contest. Thus a recurrence of any such wretched playing conditions as marred this year's Yale game will be impossible.

Plan Still in Embryo Form

"Remember, all this is very vague," warned Major Moore. "In all probability nothing will materialize from it. If, however, we found that we could put the canvas to a year-round use, we might consider it. It might be used in the spring to protect the baseball diamond from rain or possibly as a covering to the baseball grandstand. At present the whole project is nothing but guesswork."