THE OVERFLOWING CHAPEL

Appleton Chapel has been a fruitful subject for editorial dissertation for so long that almost every possible aspect has been not only covered, but buried under the weight of philosophical argument and all kinds of analysis. But there are several remarks about the Christmas carol services which it is necessary to make. A keen observer, by reading a few of the signs posted in conspicuous places, might have discovered that the ground floor was reserved for the "Faculty and friends," and for "Students and friends," while the gallery was reserved for "Harvard and Radcliffe students only." After a certain period, when it was considered that everyone belonging to one of these favored classifications had availed himself of his privileges or else had decided to stay home, the front doors were opened, and the General Public, which had been standing twenty deep for an hour or more was permitted to fill in the spaces left. Undoubtedly a considerable portion of the General Public had leaked in through the side doors, which were intended one for "Students and friends," and one for the "Faculty and friends" only. Due to the difficulty of distinguishing the General Public from the Faculty and friends, not to mention the Students and friends, it was quite impossible to prevent the more ambitions members of the General Public from impersonating the other classes. This largely explains the shortage of seats when the front doors were finally opened.

In view of the fact that more than three hundred students took advantage of their opportunity to come early and obtain a seat, and considering the zeal of the public, which was willing to stand and wait outside until practically every student who cared to come had been cared for, and which even then found that a very limited number could get inside, it might appear more just to open all the doors in the first place only reserving the pews necessary to accomodate the faculty, and allowing the students to take their chances. It would be objected that the Chapel is intended primarily for the students, and that such competition with the public would crowd them out. This is probably true. If a student had to wait as long for a seat as the average outsider waits for standing room, it is almost certain that he would never come at all, unless indeed the difficulties enhanced the benefits, as is often the case. But admitting that such a move would partially defeat the purpose of the carol services, which are for the students first of all and is therefore undesirable there is still the public, eager and appreciative, largely excluded from the Chapel. People interested enough to stand in the vestibule these cold nights and listen at long range deserve some consideration. A special service for the public would go far toward distributing the pleasure of hearing the choir.