SPORTS CONFERENCE TO MEET IN ATLANTA

Question of International Contests and Football Rules Will be Brought Up--Moore and Geer to Represent Harvard

There will be three important athletic conferences at Atlanta, Georgia, during the holiday season. The Society of Directors of Physical Education in Colleges, The National Collegiate Athletic Association, and the Athletic Research Society will meet on successive days at the Georgian Terrace Hotel, Atlanta, beginning on December 27. Major F. W. Moore '93, Graduate Treasurer of the H. A. A. and Mr. W. H. Geer, Director of Physical Education, will be the Harvard representatives at the meetings.

Mr. Geer will address the assembly of Physical Directors on the subject, "Physical Education Administration at Harvard." He plans to divide his time between the selective system of required athletics for Freshmen and the measures taken with men who receive the grade of D in body mechanics. He will explain the working of the elective system and give statistics showing the popularity of the various sports.

Football Rules Committee to Report

The meeting of the National Collegiate Athletic Association will be by far the most important of the three. Practically every college and university in the country is represented in this association which, since its organization 18 years ago, has played an ever-increasing part in the direction of collegiate athletics. The routine of the meeting includes district reports and several committee reports. Professor C. W. Mendell of Yale will make the district report for New England. The committee reports include that of the Football Rules Committee, which will be made by the chairman, Mr. E. K. Hall. This year there has been little agitation for new rules, and there is therefore little likelihood of any momentous action on the part of the committee.

Will Discuss International Contests

Other standing committees which will report are the Central Board of Officials and Rules Committees on basketball, track, soccer, and other lesser sports. Special committees will report on the coming international athletic meet, the question of relations with the American Olympic Association, and other kindred topics. Mr. A. A. Stagg, director of the N. C. A. A. track meet, will outline this year's plans. This meet incidentally will have an added importance this year because the three place-winners in each event will be eligible for the final Olympic tryouts to be held at the Harvard Stadium June 13 and 14.

To Decide Paddock's Standing

The main subject for general discussion will be "Faculty Control of Athletics." President J. R. Angell of Yale will make the principal speech on this topic. The advisability of sponsoring the visit to this country of a delegation of European college men will be considered. The object of the visit is to make a study of American college athletics. The case of the eligibility of C. W. Paddock, world's champion sprinter, will also be investigated. Paddock has been declared by the Amateur Athletic Association to be ineligible to represent the United States in the Paris Olympic Games.

On December 29, the final day of the conference, the Physical Research Society will meet. Mr. Geer has been asked to deliver a report on "The Longevity of Athletes", a subject of which he has made a special study. The society will also discuss the question of "Fool Rules," a study of unnecessary and undesirable athletic rules. Dr. J. Moore Soniat of New Orleans will make the principal address on this subject.