SOPHOMORE COMPETITIONS FOR CRIMSON BEGIN TODAY

INITIAL MEETING TO BE HELD AT 8 IN CRIMSON BUILDING

Three CRIMSON competitions, in the news, business, and photographic departments, open only to Sophomores, begin this evening at 7 o'clock at a meeting in the Crimson building on Plympton Street. These competitions will last for 11 weeks, ending the latter part of February, and there will be no work during the Christmas vacation. During the mid-year examination period the work will be lightened.

These three competitions offer the last opportunities for men in the class of 1926 to make a Board position in one of these departments. The only competitions which hereafter will be open to 1926 classmen will be the two editorial competitions in the year 1924-25. The remaining competitions of this year are limited to an editorial competition begining in February and open only to Juniors, and five Freshman competitions, three beginning in February, one in March, and the fifth on May 1.

The candidates this evening will first be addressed by the president of the CRIMSON, who will outline in general the work. The candidates will then separate into three groups, and the details of each competition will be explained by the managing editor, business manager, and photographic chairman, respectively.

In the Junior year, competitions open to Board members begin in the various departments for the higher CRIMSON Board positions. In the news department men have the opportunity of becoming assistant managing editors. During the Senior year the winner of the assistant managing editor competition becomes managing editor for half a year and automatically becomes president in the next half year. There are two of these competitions, which last a half term, and thus the managing editorship is filled each year by two men, who succeed each other and who each have a half term as president. In the business department there are two assistant business managers from the Junior class and one of these two becomes business manager for his entire Senior year. The photographic chairmanship is attained after a competition open to Junior members of the Board.