FRIDTJOF NANSEN

Although modern charts, unlike the old "T"--maps of the Middle Ages, are no longer encircled with the horrors lying in wait for the unfortunate who voyaged too far into the unknown, and although explorers of the present can maintain radio contact with the world outside, the fascination of the Far North still remains. When Dr. Fridtjof Nansen, who speaks this afternoon at the Union, made his historic voyage in the "Fram" over a generation ago, which took him neither the Pole than any other explorer had ever been, he travelled without wireless, and for months completely out of touch with civilization. Arctic exploration in those days had not yet acquired the certainty of scientific research; it was adventure, romance, and it carried the assurance of obtaining at least a glimpse into the "bright eyes of danger."

It is not because of what he can tell about the hazards of exploration twenty-five years ago, however, that Dr. Nansen will be interesting. After the war he worked tirelessly for the repatriation of war prisoners and refugees, and for his efforts was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize. Of late he has done great work in relieving Russia from the effects of famine. But although much is heard of the existence of starving refugees and of prisoners of all varieties and in all places, from Brussels to Bagdad, most people know little or nothing of what is really done for them. On this unfamiliar subject, Dr. Nansen will be able to speak with the force and fascination of an expert, and his talk will have the added charm of one of President Lowell's well-known introductions.