ATHLETIC COMMITTEE ADOPTS SEVERAL CHANGES IN ORGANIZATION OF SPORTS

Baseball Coaching System Reorganized--Action on Polo Referred to Student Council--Gym Team Dropped--Changes in Approved Schedules Announced

At the monthly meeting of the Committee on Athletics, held in University Hall on Wednesday evening, important decisions were made which will affect many of the organized sports in the University.

A revised baseball coaching system was mong the several changes authorized by the committee. Coach John Slattery will continue to head the baseball coaching staff, as his re-engagement was authorized by the committee at its October meeting. As in previous years, he will be assisted by a coach for the second University baseball team and one for the Freshmen. In addition, the committee authorized the appointment of a coach who will devote his time wholly to the coaching and development of pitchers.

To coordinate the work of the Freshman and the second team coaches with the University coaching, the committee endorsed a recommendation of the Baseball Advisory Committee that the Graduate Treasurer's office, through T. J. Campbell '12, the assistant Graduate Treasurer, supervise the coaching of the various baseball squads. Mr. Campbell will not take part in any of the active coaching, but will serve as a general superviser to promote cooperation among the coaches and make sure that all the coaches are working to perfect the same system.

Action Deferred on Polo

In regard to the proposition that polo, which is now sponsored by the Military Science department, be officially recognized as a minor sport, the committee decided to take no action and referred the question to the Student Council for consideration and report at their first meeting early in January.

It was also voted to discontinue the gymnasium team as a minor sport for the present, owing to the fact that interest in that activity has been dwindling at the University in recent years.

Lacrosse Sees Changes

The appointment of a new coach for the lacrosse team, Mr. L. F. Herbert, formerly of Syracuse, was authorized by the committee on Wednesday.

The spring lacrosse schedule was also considerably reorganized. It was voted that the usual Southern trip of the lacrosse team during the spring vacation be eliminated this year. Instead, an invitation from Syracuse asking the University lacrosse team to spend the first few days of the recess in informal practice in the Syracuse stadium was accepted. An effort will also be made to arrange the schedule so that the University team may meet Hobart and Cornell on Friday and Saturday of the same week instead of making an extra trip during term time as in former years.

University Wrestling

The formal appointment of Mr. William E. Lewis as coach of the wrestling team to succeed last year's coach, Mr. Frank Judson, who has left the University to resume professional work in Chicago was confirmed.

The University wrestling schedule was approved, as follows:

Friday, January 11.--Boston Y. M. C. U. at Cambridge.

Saturday, January 19.--Columbia at New York.

Saturday, February 16.--Norwich at Northfield, Vt.

Wednesday, February 20.--M. I. T.

Saturday, February 23.--Brooklyn Polytechnic Institute.

Saturday, March 1.--Brown.

Saturday, March 8.--Yale.

Saturday, March 15.--New England Intercollegiates.

(Eight games, two trips; last year, nine games, three trips.)

Track Schedule Changed

For the winter schedules of the University and Freshman track teams, several changes were announced. Both teams will meet M. I. T. on January 19. The date of the Freshman meet with Huntington School was shifted from February 8 to February 26. At the same time the spring track schedule for the University team was approved. There is, however, still some uncertainty as to whether or not the meet with Yale will take place on June 7, or on June 16. It had been originally planned to hold the meet at the later date, but conflict with the dates of the Olympic tryouts and the Olympic sailing may cause a shift in the schedule. The schedule now stands:

Thursday, May 1.--University of Virginia, Soldiers Field at 3 P. M.

Saturday, May 10.--M. I. T., Tech Field at 3 P. M.

Saturday, May 17.--Interclass and Inter-Squad Open Handicap Meet, Soldiers Field at 3 P. M.

Saturday, May 24.--Princeton at Princeton, 3 P. M.

Friday, May 30, and Saturday, May 31.--Annual I. C. A. A. A. A. meet, probably at Cambridge or else Philadelphia or New York.

Friday, June 13, and Saturday, June 14.--American Olympic Tryouts, Soldiers Field.

Monday, June 16.--Yale, Soldiers Field.

Read to Coach Second Hockey

The appointment of Mr. R. C. Read as coach of the second hockey team was approved. Mr. Read graduated from Mt. Allison college in New Brunswick in 1919, where he had considerable hockey experience. As he plans to be a graduate student at the University for the next six years, the Athletic Committee hopes that he will be able to establish a permanent coaching system for the second hockey team such as Coach Winsor has developed with the University teams.

University Schedule Altered

In the University schedule, the Boston University game was changed from Wednesday December 19 to Tuesday December 18, and the Princeton game from Saturday February 16 to Monday February 18.

An early season game with Brookline High was added to the schedule of the Freshman Hockey team for January 16, bringing the total number of games on the 1927 card up to 14.

Major F. W. Moore '93, Graduate Treasurer of the Harvard Athletic Association and Mr. W. H. Geer, Director of Physical Education at the University were appointed as the University delegates to the next meeting of the National Collegiate Athletic Association to be held in Atlanta, Georgia, late in December.

The following football and hockey managership appointments recommended by the Student Council were confirmed:

Football

J. R. Burke '27, Freshman Manager.

F. V. Field '27, Asst. Freshman Manager.

G. Higginson '27, Interdormitory Manager.

A. Lamont '27, Gore Hall Manager.

L. H. Duggan '27, Smith Hall Manager.

O. A. Spalding '27, Standish Hall Manager.

G. P. Baker '25, Assistant Manager of Second Team, replacing J. B. Tailer, '25, who has resigned.

Hockey

W. G. Soule '25, Manager of Second Team, to take the place of J. G. Cushman, who has been promoted to Asst. Varsity Manager.