The Path to Public Service at SEAS

Should Supreme Court Justices Have Term Limits? That ‘Would Be Fine,’ Breyer Says at Harvard IOP Forum

Harvard Right to Life Hosts Anti-Abortion Event With Students For Life President

Harvard Researchers Debunk Popular Sleep Myths in New Study

Journalists Discuss Trump’s Effect on the GOP at Harvard IOP Forum

Briefness!

Communications

(The Crimson invites all men in the University to submit signed communications of timely interest. It assumes no responsibility, however, for sentiments expressed under this head and reserves the right to exclude any whose publication would be palpably inappropriate.)

To the Editor of the CRIMSON:

College should train a man to think and write concisely. The business world of today especially demands briefness. That point seems to be lost sight of at times when examinations are being marked.

The instructions on the examination papers often require that a question be answered briefly or in a definite number of words. One man will write on the question at full length or in twice as many words as the instructions specify. He will receive a satisfactory grade. Another man with equal knowledge of the answer will follow instructions explicitly and do the much harder task of keeping within the required bounds. His grade will suffer because of his briefness.

It seems as if additional credit should be given to the man who endeavors to follow the instructions and accomplish that really difficult task of being brief.

January 30, 1923. R. H. BEECHER '23