A CLEARING HOUSE

Rollo, in his famous visit to Cambridge, found much that bewildered him. Other newcomers have suffered the same confusion. Years ago, there was a simple way of giving Freshmen the advice and guidance which they crave. It consisted of a series of "Letters to a Freshman", now made famous along with the fame of their author. Combined with frequent editorial exhortations from the college periodicals, no new student could escape the enlightenment that was doled out to him.

But modern Freshman do not relish sermons in print, and the modern attitude tends to jet each man shift for himself. Furthermore, there are no longer the convenient though sometimes irksome rules of conduct which made his way easier than he suspected. To take the place of these, various systems of voluntary advice have been invented, each more or less helpful, but non entirely adequate. The Student Advisory Committee, in particular, with its individual adviser appointed for each Freshman, is able to give much help in an intimate and varied way.

Here again, however, there are limitations. A few advisers neglect their obligations; and frequently a Freshman falls to learn who has been assigned to him and is unable to find someone who by answering a few simple questions or giving some suggestions from his own experience, could clear up many difficulties. The weekly office hour of the Advisor Committee, open for consultation to all Freshman, will serve as a court of appeal to eliminate these inconveniences.