HANDS OFF

The efforts of the friends of the Irish republic to gain for it the recognition of the United States should meet with flat rejection. For the past few days a bill to provide funds for the establishment of consular representatives to Ireland has been under the consideration of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee. Action favorable to this proposal can amount to nothing less than an admission on our part of the independence of Ireland.

It is not for us to meddle in British politics. As Senator Lodge bluntly said, "it is none of our business." English opinion is significantly set forth in the following quotation taken from the London Times: "The problem of Irish peace is essentially a British-nay, even-an English problem, to be faced by Englishmen. Any suspicion of foreign interference would prejudice the hope of a settlement which, if it is to possess and retain its full virtue must be spontaneous." Clearly, a blundering recognition of one of the factions would be of no service in the formulation of an adequate plan.

England has a right to expect of us at least as good treatment as we received at her hands during the Civil War. Although, at that time, the happiness of a large number of her laborers and the prosperity of a great industry depended on peace in America, England refrained from recognizing the Southern Confederacy. In the present crisis we must play fair with Britain. England best understands the Irish questions; let the decision be hers.