NEED REPARATIONS AND GUARANTEES

Disappointed by Lack of Unity Among Allies--Bears No. Grudge Against United States

Reparations and guarantees are the two great questions which are predominantly influencing French opinion at the present time, declared M. Firmin Roz, famous publicist, and assistant director of the Office National des Universites et Grandes Eooles Francaises, speaking last night before a large audience in Emerson D on "French Opinion and the Great Political Problems of the Day."

On these questions, continued M. Roz, public opinion in France is characterized by its homogeneity and stability.

Leaving this aspect of the question, M. Roz pointed out that French opinion was moderate as well as unified, declaring that the various elements in the French nation served to offset one another, that French patriotism appreciated the patriotism of other countries, and that France allowed the spirit of intelligent criticism to dominate her politics as well as her literature.

France, continued M. Roz, has been disappointed in the unanimity she hoped to find among her allies. She bears the United States no grudge but feels that British foreign policy has been directed more toward the reestablishment of trade than to the enforcement of reparations for the 100 billion Frances of damage caused by the war.

France has invaded the Ruhr. declared M. Roz, because a debtor will always delay if he feels there is any chance of escape; and France wants Germany to realize that no such escape is open to her.

Turning to the question of the East, M. Roz declared that France was the traditional upholder of Christian minorities, but that in recent years she had felt that the uprisings had been political and the expedition of the Greeks wild.

The social question in France, said M. Roz in conclusion, is not acute and the present system is assured permanence by the support of the middle class and the peasants. All this and a high standard of education depend on the settlement of the question of reparations and guarantees. France wants but a chance to exist.