THE FLORENTINE EXILE

Dante, among the great figures of literature, is probably the least familiar. The material of Homer is known to most school-children; Virgil is still part of the nominal diet in preparation for college; Milton, too, is taught in the schools. But Dante, neither ancient nor modern, falls between.

The unfortunate candidate up against his Divisionals, would not be alone in his famous mistake of calling Dante "that French Revolutionist who had his head cut off by Robespierre." One slightly more informed will remember vaguely that Dante went to Hell; the next will follow him beyond there to Purgatory and finally Paradise; while the scholar will know that Italian 10, under Professor Grandgent, is one of the most desirable literary courses in college.

But only a few are equipped to take Italian 10. To the rest, Professor Grandgent's lecture this afternoon will give at least a glimpse of the great medieval poet, and suggest the peculiarities of his mental makeup which one must understand to appreciate him. With an introduction such as professor Grandgent can give, the acquaintance can be broadened into a profitable knowledge.