TO GIVE CONLON PRIZES AT BASEBALL MEETING

MANAGERSHIP CANDIDATES TO BE CALLED OUT ON SAME DAY

The date of the meeting of candidates for the University nine, which will open the baseball season, has been changed from Tuesday, February 13, to Monday, February 12, at 7 o'clock, at the Varsity Club. A. J. Conlon '22, captain and star shortstop of last year's team, who has just signed a contract with the Boston "Braves", will be presented with the two Barrett Wendell Jr. trophy bats which he won during the seasons of 1921 and 1922 for showing more power on the offensive than any man on the team.

Captain George Owen Jr. '23 and Coach J. T. Slattery will be the main speakers. They will outline the schedule, discuss the plans for the season, and touch on other topics which will be of interest to the candidates. Dr. D. C. Parmenter '13, who was one of the football coaches last fall, and who is in charge of the conditioning of all the University teams, will speak on training and its necessity to a successful season.

Following the speeches, Dr. Channing Frothingham '02 will present the trophy bats to Conlon. The things considered in awarding this trophy include the number of hits made, the number of times first base is reached, and the batting average. Conlon for two seasons showed clearly his superiority in these departments of the game, although Captain Owen of this year's nine was not far behind him, winning last year the Wingate Cup.

Battery candidates will report at Soldiers Field on Tuesday, practice for them continuing regularly until the candidates for the other positions are called out on February 26. Candidates for the Freshman team will have their first meeting on February 19 in the Smith Halls Common Room. Practice for the 1926 battery candidates will begin on the following day, and the candidates for the other positions will be called out two weeks later.

Members of the Sophomore Class who wish to compete for the second assistant managership of the University team will report at the H. A. A. on Monday, February 12, at 1 o'clock. The competition will last approximately nine weeks and the successful candidate will accompany the team on the Southern trip during the Easter vacation. The next two will be in charge of the Freshman trip through Connecticut at the same time.