YEARLING QUINTET DOWNS ST. GEORGE'S TEAM 39-22

Freshmen Score Early in Game at Newport and Steadily Increase Lead--Smith Starts for 1926, Caging Ten Baskets From Floor

NEWPORT, R. I., Feb. 28.--Keeping the lead throughout the game except for a few minutes at the start, the Freshman basketball team piled up 39 points against the 22 scored by St. George's School in the game here this afternoon, and broke the schoolboys' record of eight consecutive victories. Of the 39 Freshman points, Smith caged 25, shooting ten baskets from the floor and five from the foul line.

For the first few minutes of play the scoring advanced evenly on both sides, the Crimson starting out with a field goal which was soon duplicated by the St. George's players. The first-year men's next score was on a foul but the schoolboys retaliated by a foul and also a field goal, putting them in the lead for the first and only time during the game, the quarter ending 10-6.

During the second and third periods the Freshmen retained practically the game lead, the periods ending 21-12 and 31-18 respectively. The fourth quarter found both teams tightening up so that the yearlings were able to tally but eight points and St. George's was held down to four.

The summary: HARVARD 1926  ST. GEORGE'S Jones, r.f.  l.g., Neilson Smith, l.f.  r.g., Gamble, Morris Rauh, Skilling, c.  c., Covvens Reed, Combs, Maher, r.g.,  l.f., Rennard Maher, Reed, Combs, l.g.,  r.f., Grace

Score, Harvard 39, St. George's 22. Goals from floor, Smith 10, Rauh 3, Jones 2, Skilling 2, Rennard 5, Covvens 2, Grace. Goals from fouls, Smith 5, Neilson 6. Four 10-minute periods.