WAKEFIELD CAPTURES TITLE FROM DIXON

But Wakefield Ties Match and Keeps Lead in Last Game--Score Is 8-15, 16-13, 11-15, 15-12, 15-11

Although starting the match with erratic and sloppy playing, Channing Wakefield 2L, came from behind yesterday afternoon in the squash tournament finals and defeated W. P. Dixon '25 3-2 for the championship. The match was almost an exact repetition of the finals which the two men played in the interclub tournament held earlier in the season.

Dixon took the first game easily with the score 15-8 and forced Wakefield to the utmost in the second before losing it 13-16, after the score had been tied 13-13. In the third game of the match however Dixon came back strong and easily won 15-11. With the games 2-1 in his favor he stood a fair chance of capturing the title then, but Wakefield tied the match by defeating him with a good margin, 15-12. The deciding game opened exactly as did that in the interclub match, with the score seven all after a few minutes of play. With Dixon feeding his forehand Wakefield brought the score up to 12-7 with five terrific drives impossible to return. He kept the lead until the end of the game, although Dixon tried hard to even the count, and the match was ended with the last score 15-11 in his favor.

Dixon lost the championship mainly because he failed to keep the ball on Wakefield's backhand. He did this the first three games and won two of them. On the other hand Wakefield started very poorly and did not come up to his usual form until the last two games. He will receive a silver cigaratte box an championship while Dixon will get a gold medal as runner-up.