WHOA, BACK!

With one favorite exception, the statutes which are painfully familiar to the greatest number of men are the traffic regulations. Last spring, when the son of a well-known automobile manufacturer was sentenced to five days in jail for fast driving, the country rang with excitement. Orange County, California, sprang into prominence by giving "a day on the rock pile" to all second offenders. Even the famous Ralph De Palma got "ten days", for shooting away from a policemen whose motorcycle was "doing 73".

Until now, the motorist has been the law's only-enemy. This time, it is a train that is guilty. The town of Pleasantville. New Jersey, may or not be "slow" but certainly its inhabitants trown on anything fast. In fact an ordinance has been passed forbidding express trains, which customarily go through the town at a sixty or ninety mile pace, to exceed twelve miles an hour within town limits. What is more the train crew violating this rule will be liable to arrest, fine, or imprisonment. The mayor, popularly known as "the policeman's friend" is determined to show himself worthy of his office, even at the expense of his nickname. He has announced his intention of stationing a policeman at the crossing to enforce the ordinance. When the police force of Pleasantville raises its hand against an Atlantic City Flyer, the results can be imagined. The "long arm of the law" has done greater things than merely holding back an express train.