CRIMSON TO START NINE WEEKS NEWS COMPETITION

FIRST YEAR PAPER HAS RUN FOUR FULL COMPETITIONS

The next competition for the CRIMSON News Department will start on March 27 and will cover a nine-week period, ending on May 29. During the week of the spring recess, however, no work will be required. This is one of the shortest competitions that the CRIMSON has ever had, the usual length being 11 weeks. The only reason for cutting the competition short is to give men an opportunity to study for the final examinations.

This will be the last chance for members of the class of 1926 to make the News Department of the CRIMSON in their Freshman year, and there will be, at most, two competitions during their Sophomore year. Successful candidates for the News Department are the only ones ordinarily eligible for the positions of managing editor and president. Work during the spring competition always includes, and will include this year, a large amount of work in covering athletics and securing interviews and special articles.

This is the first time in its history that the CRIMSON has run four full competitions in one year, and marks the establishment of a regular system of four annual competitions, the first three of which will be 11 weeks, and the last one of eight or nine weeks, extending this year up to, and possibly in the future through the final examinations.