CREWS TAKE FOUR MILE PADDLE IN OPEN WATER

IMPROVEMENT IN BALANCE AND IN STEADINESS MARKED

Rowng downstream almost to the harbor, the first two University crews covered almost four miles apiece yesterday afternoon in their fourth open water practice. Although four crews made the trip to the Shawmut Boat Club, the low tide prevented the launching of the other two shells.

Crews A and B, coxed by B. H. Burnham '24 and W. W. Wood '24, had a comparatively easy workout, despite the fact that they covered a greater distance than they did on Tuesday. Starting at about 5 o'clock under the direction of Coach Muller who followed the practice from the launch, the men rowed for an hour along the Fort Point, Channel. The water conditions were perfect, and the improvement in balance and steadiness of the shells was quite marked. Nothing was attempted, however, beyond a slow paddle, as the coaches wish to secure an adequate grounding in fundamentals before proceeding to anything in the nature of a high stroke.

Owing to the time of low tide, the squad will practice in the tank at the Newell Boat House today, but on Monday it is expected that the two University eights, together with crews C and D, will again take to the water.