FLAYS POLICY OF FRENCH IN RUHR CONTROVERSY

Editor of the Nation Discusses American Foreign Policy in Liberal Club Talk--Favors Economic Conference

Mr. Oswald Garrison Villard '93, editor and president of the Nation, speaking at a Liberal Club luncheon yesterday, declared that, although he entirely disapproved of the United States entering into the League of Nations or any similar alliance, he believed that the only way in which European conditions can be improved is by the leadership of the United States in calling an economic conference to settle disputes about what the Germans have paid, what they can pay, and how much and in what manner they will pay.

"Liberalism must be promoted in the United States for two purposes," the speaker declared, in introducing his talk on the international situation; "first, to rid freedom of the restraints imposed upon it by the abnormal conditions during the war period; and, second, to help Americans to understand the terrible conditions in Europe. We all know the extent to which personal freedom was restricted in the United States and that we have not yet been freed from this tendency, but few realize the unhappiness, discontent, and hato which are everywhere in Europe today. The economic warfare now being waged in these countries, is worse than the straggle of the battlefield.

"The French policy in the Ruhr", Mr. Villard continued, "is very hard to understand. By her occupation she is subjecting the new German government, which is faced with many difficult problems, with a pressure which it can ill bear, and is hindering it in its struggle for existence. Her actions are undermining the friendship which has grown up with England, and are lowering her position in the regard of most Americans. The loss of the friendship of these countries would far outweigh any gain from supplies of coal or iron. I oppose the French action", the speaker concluded, "not because of any pity for the Germans, but because it is a crime committed against the French people themselves."