"THE TIES THAT BIND"

A graduate with no lectures to cut, no blue books to fill, and perhaps no teams to cheer feels lost. But as he leaves the Yard he keeps memories which become lively in reminiscence, an influence in University policy, and the responsibility for the University's continued existence. Even with card-index systems and efficient secretaries tracing the graduate, it rests on his won initiative largely whether he assumes this new relation to University life at once, or allows himself to drift away.

Those who are leaving Harvard this year can be forewarned, and their future connection made easy, by a friendly word. It is for this reason that the Seniors have opened their smoker to last-year men of the Graduate Schools, and have invited President Lowell and Mr. Marvin to be the speakers. The head of University affairs and the head of alumni affairs, by their personal suggestions, will be able to reduce the list of "lost men" from this Senior class and from the graduating classes of the other schools.

Meanwhile, the Smoker continues to he a social gathering. It is the first meeting of the year; class business and class pleasure can be successfully combined.