COMMUNISM AT HOME

The ways of Senator Borah's mind are devious and hard to follow. He has long believed that recognition of Soviet Russia by the United States is the sovereign cure for all world ills. In the course of time he has rolled up a considerable following, mostly among the ladies. To such a body Secretary Hughes has just been obliged to make one of his periodic explanations as to why the government did not recognize Russia. With his customary courtesy he repeated the facts that Russia has repudiated international agreements, has confiscated private property has vowed to carry into all other nations the blessings of Communism. To this Senator Borah replies that the new French Republic committed far worse crimes and yet Washington received its ambassador, Citizen Genet. Evidently the Senator has forgotten that Citizen Genet caused the government a great deal of worry and trouble. What is there that a Russian ambassador, with a soviet consular service to aid him, could not do to further the plans of a government pledged to the overthrow of all capitalistic countries? He could certainly double or treble the effectiveness of an underground party such as is now being revealed in Michigan.

Mr. William Z. Foster, the moving spirit of a branch of the Communist party, established in America, is facing trial for advocating the violent overthrow of the government. The chief witness for the state is an under cover" member of the Department of Justice. This man, nown as K-97, has produced evidence of secret codes, spy systems, educational and propaganda systems, and all the concomitants of a secret and well-organized party. Finally he has testified to a consultation between Foster and the Russian leaders from which Foster returned with a definite program for upsetting the government.

A revelation like this does not help anyone to believe in Senator Borah's medicine for the suffering world. The fact is that Communism is Communism and Capitalism is Capitalism and the twain will no more mix than oil and water. Russia realizes this therefore it has vowed to make all nations "one red". Our government has no desire to associate with a nation which is doing its best to undermine it.