TO SPEAK TOMORROW ON ASPECTS OF BELL SYSTEM

Mr. Bridgman to Talk on Opportunities in American Telephone and Telegraph Co.--Chance for Interview Today

An informal talk by Mr. D. S. Bridgman of the American Telephone and Telegraph Company will be given on the "Non-Technical Opportunities in the Bell System for Harvard Men", tomorrow evening, March 28, at 7 o'clock in Harvard 1. Senior and graduate students are especially invited but the meeting will be open to all other members of the University.

Mr. Roger Coolidge '19 of the American Telephone and Telegraph Company will be in the Crimson Building today from 1.30 to 2.30 o'clock to interview all those who are interested in this work.

On Thursday and Friday, employment representatives of the affiliated companies of the Bell System will conduct personal interviews with all men desiring to learn more of the System's non-technical activities as a field of work. The conferences will be held in Peabody Hall of Phillips Brooks House from 10 o'clock to 5 o'clock by representatives from the New England Telephone Company and the New York Telephone Company and may be made immediately after Mr. Bridgman's talk or on the following day. Men representing the technical aspects of the System will visit the Engineering School and the Jefferson and Cruft Laboratories next week.

The Bell System, which is composed of the American Telephone and Telegraph Company, the associated operating telephone companies, and the Western Electric Company has available this year a considerable number of positions affording a wide choice of work and location for qualified college men. These positions are in the fields of research and technical employment, application engineering, supervision of telephone operations, accounts and finance, manufacturing, installation, sales and distribution.

System Rapidly Expanding

The rapid growth of the telephone industry and the increasing complexity of the telephone art constantly calls for new leadership in its technical, administrative and commercial fields. During the last three years the assets of the System increased from one and one-half billions of dollars to over two billions. Such a rate of expansion necessitates careful engineering for the most economical results from the annual expenditure involved and effectively coordinated supervision of the manufacturing, construction, maintenance and operating activity that will follow.

In the past three years remarkable advances have been made in the telephone art. The most notable of these include the extension of transcontinental service to Havana, Cuba, through a submarine cable from Key West; the use of loud-speaking apparatus in connection with the transcontinental line in simultaneous ceremonies at Arlington, Va., New York and San Francisco, on Armistice Day, 1921; and the linking up of wire and wireless transmission in speech from ship to shore and across the Atlantic. All of these developments are due wholly or in part to the American Telephone and Telegraph Company and the Western Electric Company which carry on probably the most extensive research work of any industry in the world. These companies are now working on such developments as public address systems capable of bringing every citizen of the nation within hearing of the voice of its chief executive and intercontinental telephony capable of establishing communication between any two telephone stations in the world.