FOUR HUNDRED TAKE INTEREST IN GRADUATE SCHOOLS SOCIETY

Sunday Afternoon Meetings Started This Year Prove Successful

Of the 1435 students to whom the Graduate School Society may make its appeal, 110 responded to the letter of September 27th, outlining the plans of the society for the coming year. After the mid-year examinations a second letter was sent to all members of the graduate schools, enclosing a postcard to be stamped and returned if the student desired to be kept informed of the work of the society. The response to this letter, together with the earlier names, gave us a mailing list of 412.

The program of the society for the year has consisted of nine formal meetings, six Sunday afternoon talks, two discussion groups, a reception, and a conference on opportunities for teaching in the Near East. In addition, the Graduate Schools Society cooperated in arranging the meeting in memory of Phillips Brooks on his birthday.

The speakers to whom we are indebted for the success of our evening meetings are Dean Sperry, Professor Callan, Dr. Rhibbany, Professor Lowes, Bishop Roots, Professor Fitch, Professor W. M. Davis, Mr. S. Ralph Harlow and Mr. Basil King. Dr. Harry E. Fosdick and Professor William L. Phelps will address meetings, of the society during the month of April.

Under Professor Cabot there were during the first half year eight meetings of the discussion group, with average attendance of 14. The questions for discussion were Christianity and War, Medicine, Education, Industrialism, etc. During the present term there is a group meeting under the leadership of Dean Sperry to discuss the Competitive System and Christianity. Four meetings have been held up to the present.

Sunday Meetings Held

An innovation was planned this year in a series of Sunday afternoon meetings for graduate students and their wives and friends. For these a short musical program was arranged, followed by the address. So great was the interest at the early meetings held after the midyear examinations that the series was extended throughout the Lenten Season to the number of six. The speakers and the subjects were as follows:

Dr. S. M. Crothers, "Satan Among the Biographers"; Professor G. H. Palmer, "Nature of Forgiveness"; Dr. C. W. Eliot, "Joy in Work"; Professor Wm. M. Davis, "Natural History of Goodness"; Professor Ephraim Emerton. "Academic Life"; Professor J. T. Murray, "Conflicting Ideals and Methods in Education."

The average attendance was 135. The experiment met with success sufficient, I am sure, to justify its continuance another year.

Three dances have been held; one in conjunction with Radcliffe Graduate Society, one under the sole auspices of the Society and a third in cooperation with the Harvard Dames.

So far this year, $355.75 has been contributed to the society by graduate students.

Let me express my gratitude to the members of the Executive Committee for their ready cooperation and counsel. The members of the committee are:

C. W. Eliot 3S.L.A., chairman; P. A. Anderson 2G., R. M. Geer 3G., J. C. Slater 3G., H. H. Chen 1G., L. B. Morgan 1G.B., K. C. Gesner 2T.S., Roland Smith 1G., Delmar Leighton 1G., Roger Wells 4G., E. D. Salmon 1G., T. W. Noon 1G.Ed.

Respectfully submitted. K. I. BROWN 4G.   Secretary Graduate School Society.