LIBRARIAN URGES RENOVATION OF TEXT BOOK LOAN LIBRARY

Would Sell Obsolete Volumes and Buy New Books More in Demand

Phillips Brooks House has four libraries, three of which--the Text Book Loan, Randall, and the reading room Library--are in charge of the Librarian and the last of which, the Law Loan Library, is in charge of the Law School Society of the Association.

Easily the most important of these is the Text Book Loan Library. Despite the loss of a few books on which deposits have been forfeited, the Library has continued to grow and now contains some 3,000 volumes. Many of these books, however, are not in demand and add nothing to the value of the Library, and it would seem to be the sensible thing to sell them at the best available price, securing with the proceeds second hand books for which the demand is greater than the supply. During the past year the Library has been enlarged by the addition of 200 text books secured during the fall collection and by 100 books turned over to the Library by Mr. Apted, the college Janitor. Approximately 1050 books have been borrowed by about 350 men and about $250 has been paid in deposit fees.

Randall Library contains books on Missions, Social Service, and on general religious topics. During the past years the Library had fallen into poor shape with a large number of obsolete and unnecessary books. This year a great deal has been done toward renovating the Library, returning some books to Widener and donating books which were of little value in the Randall Library. The Library now presents a far better appearance and, with the purchase of new books, is up-to-date rather than obsolete. A bibliography of works by and about Phillips Brooks was secured from the Widener and Congressional Libraries and several books have been bought to fill out a Phillips Brooks collection. For the purchase of books for this collection and for Randall Library in general, $68.47 of an appropriation of $85 has been used. F. A. O. SCUWARZ   Librarian.