MISSION COMMITTEE CONDUCTS WIDE SCOPE OF ACTIVITIES

Daily Vacation Bible School to Be Held Again This Summer

The purpose of the Harvard Mission, as stated at its founding on June 5, 1904, is to "arouse, maintain and increase among undergraduates and alumni an intelligent interest and participation in the work of foreign missions and to secure men for positions in other countries." An effort has been made this year to make up a list of available positions abroad for men interested in foreign missionary work of every sort, as well as to compile a list of all men in the University who are interested in this work, and to arouse the missionary interest of Harvard men in all possible ways.

During the summer of 1922 the Mission supported The Harvard Daily Vacation Bible School which was held at the Grace Methodist Church in Cambridge. Mr. Ralph P. Bridgeman '18 served as the principal of the school with three teachers under him. There were 123 students enrolled at the 22 sessions which extended from July 5 to August 3, 1922. Each session lasted for two and one-quarter hours. Both the parents and children were enthusiastic over the benefits of the school, and the Committee is planning to support the school again during the summer of 1923.

During the year the Mission has had two representatives in foreign fields: R. B. Smith '22 and David Hall '22--both of whom have taught at the American University of Beirut, Syria. From time to time both men have sent interesting accounts of their work; likewise, the Committee has received letters from G. P. Hayes, A.M. '20, and last year's representative of the Mission at Robert College, Constantinople, Turkey, and from J. F. Stearns '22, who is at the University of Samakov, Bulgaria, under the auspices of the American Board of Foreign Missions.

Two mission study groups, one for three weeks and the other for five weeks, have been held during the current year. The fall group extended from December 6 through 17 and was under the leadership of Professor James Thayer Addison '09 of the Episcopal Theological School. In this group the general subject of the missionary field was discussed, and at the last meeting of the group Bishop Logan H. Roots '91 of Hankow, China, gave an interesting talk on the educational missionary opportunities, there. J. McC. Roots '25 was in charge of the organization of this group. The spring group extended from March 13 through April 11, and was led by Professor Edward Caldwell Moore, Chairman of the American Board of Foreign Missions. The subject of the group was "The Situation in the Near East". The average attendance at this group was five. In the minds of the members of the Committee there is no question but these groups are of great help, since they serve to indicate to college men that the field for missionary work is broad and that there are many opportunities for effective foreign service.

Among the fall activities of the Mission one was the sending out of Christmas greeting cards to all Harvard graduates engaged in missionary work. That this custom is worth continuing is attested by the letters from many men who have appreciated the reminder of the season from us at Harvard.

During the month of December there were two meetings held under the auspices of the Mission. On December 1 Bishop Logan H. Roots '91 of Hankow, China, spoke at a meeting in the Parlor of Phillips Brooks House on the subject of "Problems that China is Facing Today". About thirty-five men were present at the meeting with which the Graduates Schools Society co-operated. The second meeting was held just before the Christmas vacation in Peabody Hall of Phillips Brooks House. Doctor W. F. Grenfell gave an entertaining talk on his work in Labrador at which some 200 people were present. During the year the Grenfell work in the University has been conducted by E. K. Merrill '24 and Dudley Merrill '26, both members of the Mission committee who have been actively engaged in the work at Labrador.

On February 19 Mr. Albert W. Staub, Executive Secretary of Robert College, Constantinople, Turkey, and of Beirut University, Syria, spent the day in Cambridge, holding personal interviews with 23 men in regard to opportunities in the Near East. All of the conferences were held in the Randall Room, Phillips House, and lasted for fifteen minutes each.

It is the earnest desire of the committee that the work of the Mission may each year be of increasing service and that suggestions will be received from all interested members of the University, Faculty, and alumni. By obtaining new ideas and trying them out in different fields it is possible to extend the scope of service and thus be taking a progressive step in the future.

The Mission Committee for the past year has been as follows:

Chairman, W. E. Stearns '23; secretary, B. McK. Henry '24; R. E. Anderson Jr. '23, R. F. Bradford '23, Sollace Mitchell '23, E. N. Carson '24, J. S. Littell '24, R. T. Loring '24, E. K. Merrill '24, J. R. P. Nason '24, Gardner Cowles Jr. '25, A. B. Harlow '25, J. McC. Roots '25, Dudley Merrill '26.

J. R. P. Nason '24 will be chairman of the committee for next year.

Respectfully submitted, W. E. STEARNS '23,   Chairman Harvard Mission Committee.