ELECT MATTHEWS TO CAPTAIN 2ND CREW

Crew C Scheduled to Race Union Boat Club Over Henley Course in Basin This Afternoon

Edwin Spencer Matthews '23, of Spokane, Washington, was elected captain of the Junior University crew yesterday afternoon. Matthews was a member of the crew squad in his Freshman year, stroked the winning class crew in 1921 and 1922, and last June set the pace for the combination eight at New London. He is now rowing at stroke on the second crew.

Three trial races will be rowed this afternoon. At 5.30 o'clock the Union Boat Club crew will face University C over the mile and five-sixteenths course, starting at Cottage Farm Bridge with the finish at Fairfield Street. There will also be two class crew races, Sophomore crews A and B meeting in the first, while Sophomore crew C, the Senior crew, and crew X will contest the second.

Coach Muller gave the University eights a comparatively easy work-out yesterday afternoon, taking them up as far as Watertown Bridge and back. The two crews rowed stroke for stroke over the greater part of the distance, varying this from time to time with short stretches at a higher beat. It is probable that no real test between the two will be staged until the Spring recess training period is well under way.