FIND THE INITIAL INTEREST

After a prolonged session of bubbling and boiling, Princeton has emerged with academic freedom triumphant. In the words of the Daily Princetonian: "Never in all its cultural history has Princeton taken such an intellectual step forward." The change consists in the reduction of Junior and Senior requirements by one course, and the substitution of individual work, under the guidance of a preceptor, to be checked by comprehensive examinations on the major field of study. At the same time, provision is made to divide the regular courses between the special field and other departments. President Hibben has given voice to the motive which prompts the charge: "With initial interest there comes knowledge, and with that increase of knowledge there comes increase of interest." He aims to stimulate the initial interest by granting personal responsibility to the student.

Princeton's plan is easily translated into the Harvard vernacular: individual work under the guidance of preceptors is duplicated in our Tutorial System: the one-course reduction is practiced here at least in the senior year; the general examinations, too, correspond, except that Princeton has two to our one; and the system of "majors and minors" corresponds closely with the familiar "Concentration and Distribution." Even the underlying purpose is the same; there is little indeed to complete the parallel. The innovation on an ultimate panacea. "The day of benevolent despotism fades into the background; from now on the compelling force will be individuality." Yet Harvard, where the system has had a trial of years, is still wondering where to find the "initial interest." Perhaps the small difference in Princeton's scheme and the fact that it is not applied to all departments here, are the desired clue. Perhaps the University fails to appreciate what it has . . . Or perhaps Princeton five years from now will be less sanguine.