AN ANSWER TO "HERESY"

Contrary to the belief of F. Scott Fitzgerald, and other authoritative commentators on college life, the undergraduate interest in the Infinite and the Beyond does not cease with the Sophomore year. Chapel statistics are no evidence: they indicate merely that the Chapel satisfies a certain minority, and does not answer the religious questionings, none the less vigorous, of many others.

Approprintely, while "Heresy" is in the air, and the religious calm of the University is ruffled, Dr. Gray comes for a series of discussions at Phillips Brooks House. He puts his finger on exactly the phase of religion which can appeal to the inherently practical collegian. "What's the good of religion" is one of his subjects. "The Secret of Power" is another which should certainly attract the most indifferent.

But best of all Dr. Gray's is a happy, positive creed that absorbs and stimulates. He hates the passive viewpoint which is largely responsible for the student's dissatisfaction with existing methods of worship. And he draws from a wide experience, with the British Army, city congregations, and college audiences, to show why religion is to him real and desirable.

The talks at Phillips Brooks House this week are followed by informal discussion and questioning. Those vague queries, hitherto reserved for futile midnight conferences with sympathetic intimates, may be fired at one most competent to suggest helpful conclusions. And at the Chapel, too, where he is preaching this week, Dr. Gray should offer as satisfying spiritual fare as one man may give to another.