BATES OPENS SEASON WITH CRIMSON TODAY

Visitors Pinning Hope of Victory on Pitching Staff--Will Probably Start Hamilton, Speedy Southpaw

The University baseball team starts out on the third stage of its season by facing Bates College this afternoon at 4 o'clock on Soldiers Field. With its three opening games successfully behind it, and further steadied by its four contests on the Southern trip, the nine that will face the Maine combination this afternoon, will do so with the odds well in its favor. Coach Slattery will start team A intact with either K. N. Hill or Young on the mound.

The visitors' battery has not been definitely decided upon and it is nearly an even toss as to which of the two catchers and three pitchers will start. Of the latter, Hamilton is probably the leading possibility. He has distinguished himself as a successful southpaw despite the fact that he is only five feet four inches in height--perhaps the smallest pitcher in the ranks of the Eastern colleges.

The Bates nine will start six of last year's veterans but will be handicapped by a lack of practice. Inclement weather prevented outdoor practice until April 14 and today's game will be the first of their season, their contests so far having been necessarily confined to informal games with their own second team.