SIXTEEN MEN RECEIVE FELLOWSHIPS IN FRANCE

John W. Ames Jr. '18 Only University Graduate to Receive American Field Service Award This Year

John Worthington Ames Jr. '18 is the only graduate of the University this year to secure an American Field Service Fellowship for study in France. Ames will devote his time chiefly to the study of architecture. Fifteen other college graduates were given fellowships from the proceeds of the $600,000 campaign of the American Field Service Association which the Association launched last January. Should the goal be reached by June 1 when the campaign closes, more fellowships will be established. The spring performances by the Dramatic Club were given for the benefit of these fellowships.

The American Field Service Association was founded "to promote and maintain understanding and fraternal feeling between France and the United States". The original endowment provided by the Association is sufficient to maintain 12 annual fellowships. This amount has been supplemented by annual gifts and pledges by the officers, trustees, and friends so that during the past four years 61 Fellows were sent to France, 29 of whom had their fellowships renewed for an additional year. In all, 80 annual fellowships have been awarded in this period.

In addition to the present campaign, many of similar nature are planned in the future so that finally 127 permanent annual fellowships will ultimately be established,--one for each Field Service man who gave his life for France American ideals.

M. Georges Clemenceau was the donor of the largest gift, contributing $20,000, the entire proceeds of his lecture tour while in this country. In deciding to make the Association the solo beneficiary he gave this reason for his decision: "In memory of my student years in America I hope you will permit me to contribute the proceeds of my lectures to your fund for sending American boys to France and bringing our students here".