ALMOST 160 MEN OUT AT FIRST TRACK PRACTICE

ENTIRE SQUAD WORKS OUT ON NEW TRACK AT SOLDIERS FIELD

Nearly 100 men reported yesterday afternoon for the first practice of the spring season of the University track squad and about 60 for that of the Freshman squad. This number will probably be largely increased during the next week by the signing up of additional men. At the first meeting last year 155 men came out, but a week after the opening of the season the total had been reased to 264.

At the meeting of all the candidates in the Locker Building, three men spoke to the squads. Captain J. W. Burke '23, who opened the meeting, stressed the serious nature of the work, and the big incentive to steady effort which was being offered to every man on the squads, both University and Freshman. In emphasizing the point that each candidate had an equal opportunity for success, Burke pointed out that the results which a track men obtained were measured by the time which he put into his work, and that the coaches would always be watching every man on the squad.

Mr. W. F. Garcelon '95 L., who was a hurdler on the University team in 1893 and 1894, and is now a member of the Track Advisory Committee, spoke next. Mr. Garcelon declared that, although the burden of responsibility rested most heavily on the letter men, track victories depended in almost every case upon the showing of the third-place men. In illustrating his statement that men developed into track winners by hard work as much as by natural ability, Mr. Garcelon told of several men on Crimson track teams who had made their letter after several years of work although when they first came out they seemed to have no chance of ever placing against Yale.

The final speaker was Coach Martin who went into some detail as to his plans for the work of the squads. He emphasized the necessity of every man reporting every day on which there was practice, and explained what he wanted each individual to do in the way of training. He also stated that his program called for a large amount of work with the Freshman and Sophomore candidates, because they needed to be drilled in their form, while the upperclassmen had already been instructed in the fundamentals, and would only need occasional correcting.

After the meeting, the entire squad went to the new cinder track in the north-west corner of Soldiers Field for their first practice. Coach Martin was in charge of the runners, while Coaches Farrell and Mikkola supervised the work of the field event men.