CHASE PRAISES WORK OF LORD CARNARVON

Complete Furnishings of Tomb Give Idea of Richness and Splendor of Egyptian Life Never Before Realized

That the discovery of the tomb of Tutankh-Amen by the late Lord Carnarvon was of enormous importance, not because of the value of the individual relics of the ancient Egyptians, but because of the fact that the tomb is the only untouched one that has ever been discovered, was the keynote of an interview given by Professor G. H. Chase '96, John E. Hudson professor of Archaeology and Curator of Classical Antiquities to a CRIMSON reporter yesterday.

"Although the outer room of the tomb had been entered in ancient days, the discovery of the secret inner chamber, intact, has never been duplicated and probably never will be," Professor Chase said. "The Valley of Kings has been so well exhausted that the chance of another unraided tomb's being discovered is very slight. The true value of Lord Carnarvon's discovery lies in the completeness of the tomb's furnishing. They give a picture of richness and splendor in ancient Egyptian life, which has often been suspected but never fully realized until now.

Davis' Discovery Comparable

"The only other discovery that resembled Lord Carnarvon's in importance was that of the tomb of the father and mother of King Ti by Mr. Theodore Davis," continued Professor Chase. "This tomb had been entered before but a good deal of material had been left by the robbers. Previous to the excavation of Tut-ankh-Amen's tomb, the knowledge of the ancient Egyptian glory was restricted to what could be gleaned from the few records and remains left in the already ransacked tombs. Now Lord Carnarvon has given the world a record as complete as the whole contents of a king's tomb can provide."