UNIVERSITY NINE SHUTS OUT SECOND TEAM 11-0

Scrubs Fail to Get a Hit Off Spalding in First Five Innings While Herrmann Holds Opponents to One Double

Yesterday afternoon at Soldiers Field, the University baseball team administered a crushing defeat to the seconds in a seven-inning game, winning by the decisive margin of 11 to 0. The first five innings were featured by a pitching duel between Spalding: and Herrmann, who pitched last year for the Freshmen. The seconds failed to make a single hit off Spalding, while the University players made one double in the first five innings.

The first score came in the last of the second inning when Norris reached first on an error, was advanced to third by Hammond's double, and scored on a sacrifice fly to center field. In the next inning, Gordon crossed the plate for the only other tally until the sixth, when Coach Slattery's men ran wild, scoring nine runs. Three clean singles, two scratch hits, and several errors were responsible for the rally.

The seconds' one chance to score came in the second, when Fullbright, with a man on second, knocked a liner to deep center field. Clark, who played a dependable game throughout the contest, made a long run and a spectacular one-handed catch that brought the inning to an unexpected close.