RENDERING OF GUNGA DIN WINS LEE WADE PRIZE

McConnell Gets Unanimous Decision of Judges--First Boylston Prize Goes to Smith and Second to Hines

The competition for the Lee Wade and Boylston prizes was held last night in Sanders Theatre before a large audience. The Wade prize of $50 was awarded by the unanimous decision of the judges to Oviatt McConnell '23 of Buffalo, N. Y., who read for his piece Rudyard Kipling's dramatic poem, "Gunga Din". Eli Allen Smith '25 of Worcester received the first Boylston Prize of $35 for his selection, "Eulogy on Abraham Lincoln" by Henry Watterson, while the second prize of $25 went to Norman Edwin Hines '23 of Portland, Conn., who read John Bright's "Faith in the People". It is interesting to note that of the three prize orations, two were in prose and only one in verse.

The award of these prizes is one of the oldest institutions in the College, the Boylston prizes having been established 106 years ago by Ward Nicholas Boylston in honor of his uncle, Nicholas Boylston, who established the Boylston Professorship of Rhetoric and Oratory, now held by Dean Briggs. The Lee Wade Prize was not instituted until 1915, when Dr. Francis Henry Wade established a fund in memory of his son, Lee Wade II '14.

Professor John Tucker Murray '99 said in announcing the decision of the judges, that the general level of the orations was much higher than in any previous year.