SECONDS TAKE WASH AS CREW C SPURTS TO WIN

JUNIOR EIGHT WILL NOT ROW M. I. T. TOMORROW

The first few hundred yards proved to be the decisive stretch in yesterday's mile race between the second and third University crews, won by the latter with three-quarters of a length to spare.

Jumping off the line at a lively clip, both eights remained on even terms for the first dozen strokes, but here Bassett, setting the pace for the seconds, let the beat down to a long 34. The third crew, however, stroked by R. F. Bradford '23, clung to their original pace and burned out half a length's lead before the quarter mile was reached.

Once in this position, the leaders had little trouble in keeping their advantage and the two shells see-sawed down the course, spurt answering spurt with no appreciable change in the relative positions. As Harvard bridge loomed ahead the seconds started a lrive that carried them almost abreast their opponents, but crew C was equal to the occasion, answered the challenge with a still higher stroke, and crossed the line 50 feet to the good.

The second oarsmen form a comparatively new combination, having rowed together only since Tuesday, and it is probable that a few more days of practice will see an improvement in their rowing.

M. I. T. Race Cancelled

Owing to the fact that M. I. T. has been obliged to withdraw her crew because of an injury to one of its members, the race between the University and Technology junior crews, scheduled for Saturday, has been cancelled. In order to fill this date the crew management has arranged for the Union Boat Club eight to take on crews B and C over the Henley distance tomorrow.

The third crew is boated as follows: Bow, W. M. Fairleigh '25; 2, H. G. Curran '25; 3, Standish Bradford '24; 4, G. S. Mumford '25; 5, M. W. McGreevy '24; 6, R. S. Hubbard '24: 7, A. L. Hobson '24; stroke, R. F. Bradford '23; cox., C. S. Heard '25.