H. S. GABRIEL WINS D. S. O.

Graduate Student Decorated Yesterday for Extraordinary Heroism

Before 15 officers of the First Army Area in Boston, Lieutenant Harry S. Gabriel of Watkins, New York, who is a special graduate student in the University, was yesterday awarded the Distinguished Service Order by General Hersey for extraordinary heroism in skirmishes around Hill 378 in France. Lieutenant Gabriel enlisted at the outbreak of the war as a private, but he was soon promoted to the rank of Sergeant. Receiving an officer's training at Camps Dix and Lee, he was commissioned and sailed for France in August, 1918, moving directly to the front on his arrival there. After a week of active service, he was promoted to Regimental Intelligence Officers, in which capacity he made several patrols that often took him right into the German lines. He received the Croix de Guerre from General Petain, and he was twice cited for heroism, once by General Pershing and once by General Kuhn.

On the particular occasion which brought him the D. S. O., he fought with two platoons through a dense thicket against an unlocated enemy who resisted with a constant artillery and machine gun fire. When two officers on his left were shot down, he took entire command, four times rallying his men to the attack. His small group silenced seven machine guns and captured several prisoners. He finally reached his objective, Hill 370, in spite of the that his company was decimated, and definitely located the enemy, which was the main purpose of the reconnaissance.