MUST GUARD EACH WORKER WITH SOLDIER IN RUHR

FINDS GERMANS ARE WILLING TO PAY FAIR INDEMNITY

Mr. J. H. Scattergood '97, who has recently been touring France and Germany to view the political situation, gave an informal talk yesterday noon at a luncheon at the Liberal Club on "The Political Situation in the Ruhr", in which he showed the seriousness of the situation for the whole world, and outlined the nature of the passive resistance.

"As the French enter a mining district, with machine guns, tanks, and all the other appurtenances of war, the whistles in the town are blown, and when the French troops come up, they are met by the entire population who merely stand around with folded arms and calmly watch the movements of the aggressors. Naturally the troops cannot fire on such a gathering, and they are also unsuccessful in getting work out of the Germans. The French are spending 500,000,000 francs a month in the Ruhr, or the equivalent of a million dollars a day, and at present they have next to nothing to show for their work. They are taking from the Ruhr but one per cent of the amount which the Germans delivered in an equal length of time in 1922, for besides the cost of hiring the mine workers, they also have to employ one soldier to guard each worker."

In all the interviews Mr. Scattergood had with prominent men in Germany, he invariably made a point of asking the question: "Is Germany willing to pay her indemnity?" The answers he received were always the same. The German wants to pay, and he wants to pay as soon as possible in order to get the burden off his shoulders. But the terms of the treaty must be definite, must be plausible, and above all must not be enforced at the point of a pistol.