FRESHMEN FIGHT WAY TO CLOSE WIN OVER TIGERS

Take Track Meet 70-85--Result in Doubt Till Final Event--Crimson Makes Clean Sweeps in 100, 220, 440

In a meet which was not decided until the final event had been completed, the Freshman track team Saturday afternoon defeated the Princeton first year men on their home track by a score of 70 to 65. Before the last contest, the hammer throw, began, the Crimson was leading 66 to 60, but when Gates of Princeton took first in the event the Tigers threatened the University men's lead. P. F. A. Altman '26 and P. E. Berglund '26, however, won second and third places, respectively, and assured a Crimson victory.

The Crimson Freshmen did their best work in the track events, making a clean sweep in the 100-yard, 220-yard, and 440-yard distances, and taking both first and second in the half-mile and mile runs. Although the Tiger yearlings allowed the University first year men to again a large lead at the beginning of the meet, they continually pressed the Crimson athletes, and their final bid for victory fell short by only a small margin.

Captain R. G. Allen '26, taking first place in the 100-yard, 220-yard, and 440-yard distances, J. N. Watters '26 who won the half-mile and mile races, and M. A. Cheek Jr. '26, who placed first in the discus, second in the javelin and third in the shot put, were the outstanding competitors for the Crimson. Taylor, with three firsts, and Gibson with two firsts and a second, featured for the Tigers.