WILLIAMS TRIUMPHS BY ONE RUN MARGIN

Center-Fielders on Both Teams Make Spectacular Catches--Loose Fielding Causes Many Errors

The superior fielding of the University baseball team was not sufficient to check the aggressive Williams nine yesterday afternoon at Soldiers Field, the Purple finally winning by the scant margin of two runs to one. It was a pitching battle all the way between Herrmann and Clement, both men holding their opponents to six singles. Clark played a brilliant game for the Crimson by making several spectacular catches that deprived the Purple of apparently sure runs. Buck was the individual star for the visitors, cutting short the University's one opportunity to tie the score in the last of the seventh by scooping up a hard-hit liner by Gordon just before the ball touched the ground.

Williams Secures Early Lead

The visitors began with a rush. Buck, the first batter on the Purple batting-order, reached first when Hammond failed to handle a weak liner over second quickly enough. After stealing second, however, the runner waited while O'Brien and Richmond were retired, the former flying out to Gordon, the latter to Larrabee. A minute later, Fisher knocked a slow grounder to Buell, beating out the throw and bringing in the first Williams run. A play from Hammond to Owen brought the inning to a close immediately afterwards.

Clark started off for the Crimson in a businesslike manner, placing a clean single between first and second. There he remained, however, while Clement disposed of the next batter in a summary fashion.

Crimson Nine Retaliates

It was in the following inning that the Crimson crossed the plate for its only tally. Hill knocked a hot grounder to the shortstop, who seemed slightly rattled and threw over the first baseman's head, allowing the runner to reach second. A grounder by Hammond advanced him another base. Burgess then hit sharply to the second baseman, who tried to catch Hill at the plate. The throw was perfect, but the ball was twisted out of the catcher's hand, giving the University its only run and tieing the score. In the same inning another score was almost registered when Burgess made an unsuccessful attempt to steal home on a short throw to second.

Williams Scores Winning Run

The second and last Williams tally came in the seventh, when Buell misjudged a high fly, allowing Hoyt to reach first. The latter was advanced to second on a sacrifice bunt, and to third on a grounder to Owen. At this critical point, Hammond mishandled a badly bouncing ball, and the winning run crossed the plate.

In the last of the ninth, Coach Slattery threw in all his pinch hitters, but neither Hill nor Doherty was able to fathom Clement's deceptive delivery. False hopes were raised a minute later when Clark reached first on an error, and Gordon knocked out a clean single to left, only to have Clark caught at third for the final out when he tried to stretch the hit an extra base.

Sacrifice hits, Mallon. Stolen bases, Burgess, Buck. Bases on balls, Herrmann. Left on bases, Harvard 10, Williams 8. Struck out, by Herrmann, by Clement 3. Hit by pitched ball, Hammond by Clement, Hoyt by Herrmann. Double plays, Clement to Hoyt to Richmond, Time, 1h., Km.

Harvard  a.b.  r.  b.h.  p.o.  a.  e.Clark, c.f.,  5  0  1  6  0  0Gordon, l.f.,  5  0  2  2  0  0Buell, 3b.,  4  0  0  1  1  2Owen, 1b.,  4  0  0  9  0  0F. Hill, s.s.,  4  1  1  3  0  1Hammond, 2b.,  3  0  1  3  3  1Burgess, r.f.,  4  0  0  1  0  0Larrabee, c.,  3  0  1  2  1  0Herrmann, p.,  3  0  0  0  3  0*Doherty,  1  0  0  0  0  0*K. Hill,  1  0  0  0  0  0Total,  37  1  6  27  8  4*Batted for Larrabee in ninth.*Batted for Herrmann in ninth.Williams  a.b.  r.  b.h.  p.o.  a.  e.Buck, c.f.,  5  1  1  6  0  1O'Brien, 3b.,  4  0  0  2  1  0Richmond, 1b.,  4  0  1  8  0  0Fisher, r.f.,  4  0  2  0  0  0Monjo, l.f.,  4  0  0  1  1  1Hoyt, 2b.,  3  1  0  5  3  0Mallon, s.s.,  2  0  1  1  1  6Coe, c.,  4  0  0  4  2  0Clement, p.,  4  0  1  0  6  0Total,  34  2  6  27  14