ERRATIC NINE FROM AMHERST HERE TODAY

Was Knocked Out by Blue After Letting in 18 Runs but Tigers Hit Him Only Twice Safely for Singles.

The Amherst baseball team will try to retaliate for the 2 to 1 defeat it suffered at the hands of the University last year when in faces the Crimson this afternoon at 4 o'clock on Soldiers Field. Spalding has been chosen to start on the mound, and he should give a good account of himself after almost a week's rest. Otherwise the Crimson line-up will remain unchanged.

The visitors' record has been very erratic so far this season. On the southern trip, the team showed good form, at times, but of the Virginia Military Institute was won. Since then, however, the nine has shown a steady improvement, defeating West Point 5 to 4, Trinity 8 to 0, Penn State 8 to 0, and Massachusetts Agricultural College 5 to 0. New York University, Colby, and Princeton all managed to pull out victories by narrow margins, the latter by the score of 4 to 3.

It was in the game with Yale on May 2 that Amherst suffered a real catastrophe. Leete, who held the Blue to four hits last year, was in poor form, allowing 18 runs to be scored before he was relieved. The final count was 25 to 4. He has shown what he can do, however, by giving Princeton only two hits and Massachusetts Agricultural College none.