ERRATIC ITHACANS TO OPPOSE UNIVERSITY

Either Spalding or Herrmann Slated to Pitch for University--Buell at Third--Team's Record Betters Cornell's

When the University baseball team faces Cornell at 3 o'clock this afternoon on Soldiers Field, it will be up against one of the most erratic teams that it will probably meet this year. Both teams, however, are very evenly matched and the eventual outcome of today's contest is doubtful; for Cornell has been displaying this season a brand of ball which though weird has been brilliant.

The University will enter today's contest much improved. In last Wednesday's game with Holy Cross, the team fielded with clock-like precision, playing an errorless game, while with both Spalding and Herrmann eligible for the mound positions, the early season weakness in the box should be remedied. Both were on the pitching staff of last year's Freshman team and in recent practice games they have given promise of improvement which should be evident today. Herrmann, playing for the seconds, in a game with the University last week, held his opponents to a single hit in five innings; Spalding, on the mound for the regulars in a game with the Freshmen last Tuesday, pitched equally well, allowing no hits in four innings. The only other position on the team that has been at all doubtful, that of the hot corner, will again be covered by Buell, who played an excellent game against the Purple, making two assists and a put-out.

During its season the Cornell nine has won three games, lost four and tied one. The line-up of the team has been continually shifted in order to steady the erratic batting and fielding. HARVARD  CORNELL Clark, c.f.  2b., Woodin Gordon, l.f.  l.f., Brickley Jenkins, s.s.  1b., Fox Owen, 1b.  c.f., Frantz Hammond, 2b.  s.s., Capron Buell, 3b.  3b., Hulnick Thayer, r.f.  r.f., Weiss, Telfer, Gould Larrabee, c.  c., Stirling Spalding, Herrmann, p.  p., Knipe, Henderson