DEAN TO OFFER FRESHMEN STIFF OPPOSITION TODAY

Casto Likely to Start on Mound Against Academy Team--Captain Maher Out of Line-Up Because of Finger Injury

This afternoon at 4 o'clock on Soldiers Field, the Freshman baseball team faces one of the strongest nines it will meet this year. Casto, who has had a highly successful record so far, will probably start on the mound against Dean Academy. Captain Maher, who injured his finger several weeks ago, will be out of the line-up for some time, for he was hit by another ball on the old wound, in last Saturday's game.

In preparation for today's contest, the Freshmen met an all-star dormitory team yesterday, and had little difficulty in defeating them in a four inning game by the score of 4 to 0. McGlone left his regular position at shortstop to pitch for the Freshmen, and he held his opponents to a few scattered hits. The Crimson faces an entirely different proposition, however, when it comes up against the Dean Academy team, which has already demonstrated what it can do by defeating the Seconds on Monday by the safe margin of 12 to 5. It also overcame the strong Choate nine in a close contest, the outcome of which was in doubt until after the seventh inning, when Dean bunched their hits and attained a lead of 4 to 1 which it kept throughout the remainder of the contest.

Ford has shown up particularly well on the mound for the visitors, for besides a deceptive change in pace, he has a wide break on his curve. At the bat also, he is very strong, having registered four hits against Choate out of four times at bat, and he scored two hits out of two times at bat in the Second team game.