PRESIDENT OR BAPTIST

One of the last strongholds of denominationalism fell a short time ago, when the University of Chicago decided that its future presidents should be chosen without the restriction that they belong to the Baptist Church. Moreover, the percentage of Baptists required on the Board of Trustees was lowered, and indication given of a more liberal policy in the future. Fortunately, this change was effected without any break with the Church party itself.

When Mr. Rockefeller gave the first million dollars toward the founding of what is now the University of Chicago, he stipulated that it should be affiliated with the Baptist Church. But since then many others have contributed to its support; and, in itself, the University has outgrown all narrow bounds. Now it is probably the foremost in the Middle West, and attracts students from all over the country. For this reason its chief executive should be chosen from among the best men of the country--whether he be the best Baptist, or not. The mere fact that in the past there has been no difficulty in finding able men of this denomination, does not make the argument less strong.

Yale came face to face with very much the same problem two years ago in selecting a president. She was forced to choose between several of her own alumni, and the graduate of another university, who was better fitted for the task. Contrary to tradition the outsider was chosen, and since then he has more than justified the faith placed in him. He has shown the value of the principle that new blood gives vitality to state or to college.

The action of Chicago is merely a continuation of the American theory of government, by which Church, and state have always been separated. Tradition or bigotry must not hamper the selection. For any man, if he be unscrupulous enough, can change his affiliations in order to satisfy the requirements, and only men of the highest calibre are barred by arbitrary rules. Chicago's president should not necessarily be a Baptist, nor Columbia's necessarily an Episcopalian. Only in small institutions such as Goucher College, does the President of the Board of Trustees resign because the President of the College refuses to dismiss a professor for unorthodox teachings. The public good, and not private beliefs or preferences, should govern the policy of every great university.