SWEDEN OFFERS STUDENTS EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITY

INFLUENCES OF ENGLAND, FRANCE AND GERMANY PORTRAYED

The United Student Corps of Sweden and the American Scandinavian Foundation have offered to assist all American students interested in Scandinavian life and sculpture in finding the important prints of historical and scientific interest in Scandinavia.

The particular attraction in Sweden this year is the Gothenburg Jubilee Exposition which opened on May 8 and which will continue until September 30. It includes unusually good educational, historical, archaeological and fine and applied arts exhibits. The educational exhibits will illustrate in models, charts, photographs and printed matter, the Swedish educational scheme, including a section on the "sloyd" or manual training system in the schools. This "sloyd" is of great significance in the art handicraft and industrial art movement which has taken such great strides in Sweden during the past decade.

Has Important Archaeological Exhibit

The most striking exhibits will be those devoted to archaeology. Three separate archaeological expeditions have been financed by the City of Gothenburg to gather original material for this exhibit. The work began in 1915. One expedition under Dr. Giorg Sarauw, director of the archaeological section of the Gothenburg Museum has combed the Swedish west coast and gathered more than 20,000 objects. Among these is a well preserved skeleton believed to belong to the neolithic period and to be not less than 5000 years old, found near Kungsbacka, a small ancient village near Gothenburg. Another is the tomb of a woman, at least 2000 years old, found at Ytter-Rostad.

Have Excavated Medieval City

An expedition directed by Baron Carl of Uggla, has excavated the medieval city of Old Lodose, near Gothenburg. This city was an important seaport and is thought to have flourished for upwards of a thousand years before it was destroyed in the middle of the Fifteenth Century in the wars between the Swedes and the Danes. A church almost as large as the Gothenburg Cathedral has been unearthed as well as several smaller churches, a hospital, a castle, city walls, private houses, armor, tools, coins and weapons.

Another expedition led by, Dr. Sixten Strombom has excavated the city of New Lodose, successor to the old city, and the immediate predecessor of Gothenburg as Sweden's western seaport. These various archaeological undertakings throw considerable light on Scandinavian history and culture, especially in the medieval period. Dr. Sarauw's work is important in the prehistory of Sweden's west coast, which is one of the richest sections in Sweden from the archaeologist's viewpoint.

Other historical exhibits will trace the influence which Sweden has had from other parts of Europe, England, France, Germany and even Russia and the east. A particularly interesting part of this is the section devoted to ecclesiastical art and architecture which illustrate the influence which various types of church construction in other parts of Europe have had in Sweden.

In the fine arts section, students will have an opportunity to study the whole range of Scandinavian art. There will be an inter-Scandinavian exhibition, including work of the living Swedish, Danish, Norwegian and Finnish artists, a retrospective exhibit of swedish art relating to the West Coast and Gothenburg, a general retrospective exhibit of Swedish art, and several minor art shows, in addition to a striking exhibit of industrial art and art handicrafts