HARDEST WORK OVER AS YALE RACE NEARS

University Eight Has Wealth of Power but Lacks Characteristic Finesse of Eli Oarsmen--Final 4-Mile Row Today

Red Top. Conn., June 18.--A gruel-ling succession of practice sprints through which Coach Muller put his men last Saturday marked the end of strenuous work on the Thames as far as Harvard preparation for the Yale race is concerned.

Oarsmen, coaches, and managers, following the precedent set last week, spent Sunday on Mr. J. P. Morgan's yacht the "Corsair". A short cruise was taken down the sound and the party returned to quarters in the early evening.

This morning and afternoon short sprints featured the work, of all the crews, Coach Muller taking his eights down stream to the Navy Yard, and Coach Bert Haines accompanying the Freshmen over a similar course late this afternoon.

The problem at the Crimson quarters during the past ten days has been a double one--first, that of putting life and dash into a crew of unusual latent power; secondly, of coordinating that power so that it will be applied as a unit. This latter is a feature in which Yale excels, and which, if incorporated to as great an extent into the Crimson shell, might well mean a Crimson victory next Friday.

Has Abandoned Time-Trials

To this end Coach Muller abandoned the idea of a time-trial, originally scheduled for Saturday evening, and instead drove his men through several fast half-mile sprints. This work, he feels, will help materially in developing that speed of pull-through and consequent good proportion to the stroke which has been so conspicuously lacking in the University boat to date.

The task of getting the men together has not proved nearly so difficult as many critics, after hearing of Hubbard's injury, supposed it would be. Coach Muller feels that the eight is going almost as smoothly now with Hobson at 5 as it did previously, but the question of putting dash and vim into the handling of the sweeps remains an acute problem--a problem upon the solving of which rests to a large extent the outcome of Friday's contest.