TUFTS PILES UP EARLY LEAD AND WINS 13 TO 7

Finds Crimson Pitchers in First Inning and Retires Herrmann, Checking up Seven Tallies--Bemis Finishes Game

Piling up seven runs in the opening inning the Tufts baseball team coasted easily through the remainder of the game to a 13 to 7 triumph over the University nine last Saturday at Medford. Morrell, the victor of last year's game, was again on the mound for the Brown and Blue, and although somewhat erratic he pitched a reasonably good nine innings supported by the almost airtight fielding of his associates.

The Crimson batters started well when Jenkins' long two bagger brought Clark in for the opening score. Gordon, however, had been put out and Captain White caught Owen's screaming line drive over short stop and threw to Loud, doubling Jenkins off second. In the last half of the inning the Tufts batsmen found easy work and after scoring three runs and sending Herrman to the showers, they finished the good work and effectually nailed the lid on the Crimson chances by collecting four more tallies off Bemis.

At this point the batting enthusiasm seemed to subside and the game progressed more evenly, both teams scoring more or less steadily. Owen's home run in the fifth was the feature of the game when his terrific left-field drive disappeared over the fence the first time this year that any batter has succeeded in doing this in the Tufts Bowl.