EFFICIENCY OF R. O. T. C. IMPRESSES COL KROMER

Visiting Member of U. S. General Staff Declares Armory Is Greatest Need of Military Science Department

"I am greatly impressed with the efficiency and business-like air that exists among the members of the Military Science courses in carrying out their duties and with the excellence of the instruction that they receive", declared Colonel L. B. Kromer of the General Staff of the United States Army to a CRIMSON representative after a two-day inspection of the University R. O. T. C. Unit. Colonel Kromer, who has been visiting R. O. T. C. organizations throughout the country, also stated that at no place that he had visited had he seen such earnestness as was shown by the students at the University, without compulsory drill and rigid discipline.

"Perhaps the greatest need of the Department at present is a riding hall or armory which could be utilized for piston practice and rifle gallery shooting. In such a building, facilities would be available for giving the future officers much more practical experience, to supplement the theoretical work, than is new possible during the winter months.

"It is during this time of year", continued Colonel kromer, "that the majority of the members of the R. O. T. C. are able to participate in the organization's activities, as there are then comparatively few engaged in athletics. But because of the lack of indoor facilities, riding, gun drill, and pistol practice must be postponed until spring when only a fraction of the men who could take part in these activities in winter are able to do so at this time. Thus, of course, the benefits derived from R. O. T. C. training would be greatly extended if some form of armory or riding hall could be erected in the near future."